And the day God breathed upon your still life, stirring into being the green leaf and the flower, bud upon the branch and light
upon your soul. Here you felt the earth’s air on your petals and your leaves, and squinted into sunlight, gazing high for heaven
until you felt the gardener’s hand gently turning soil and soul, and nurturing you, bud in radiant sun.
Cascading rain absorbed in warm earth turning, heaven of fragrance. What is that sound in the wind and dazzling light?
Oh, the sweet sound of your delight in God. Sometimes it is like the sound of running laughter.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Fingerprints and Faith

I made it out the door yesterday about midday; it was about 4F with an 8 mph wind from the south. Reading the current conditions before I left the house, I expected the southerly wind to feel warm. Not so. It had a bite. At least the sun was shining bright when I started though it hazed over. I headed for Birch Island Park and the hills. I needed some trails and hills to work on. And the forest provides a quiet and peaceful setting to just meditate and worship. I got all that and so much more. For me most often the trail becomes a place of worship, a sacred prayer closet. “O Lord, I love the habitation of your house and the place where your glory dwells.” Psalms 26:8 Over the course of about 8 ½ miles I thought a lot about God’s glory and His beautiful creation. There are creatures living in the woods that have the awesome role of living to His praise with every breath they breathe. To think about it, that’s my part too – to live and breathe to His praise and glory. So when I run along the trails and through the woods, I see His handiwork at every turn; and the praise is rising from my heart and mind all along the way. I see His fingerprints and my own faith grows. That’s why I love to pray along the trail; my faith increases with each step.


Well, I’m not yet in any condition for 8 miles of trails and hills. And it was not long before my legs were screaming, “We’re done! We’re tired! We’re quitting!” Of course, I ignored these little pleas and mildly adjusted my pace so that I could focus and keep going. Focus? Yes, focus – on the beauty and majesty before me – the “…taking your heart by storm…” wonder of my beloved Lord and His stunning world surrounding me. Who would want to stop running into the glory of God along paths that He had drawn!? Our path as pilgrims is to look forward and keep going, to run into the glory that God has made.


I was reading Spurgeon yesterday. He quoted 2 Corinthians 4:18: “The things which are not seen.” He said, “In our Christian pilgrimage it is well, for the most part, to be looking forward. Forward lies the crown, and onward is the goal. Whether it be for hope, for joy, for consolation, or for the inspiring of our love, the future must, after all, be the grand object of the eye of faith.”


This is where I want to be – looking and moving forward, keeping my eyes fixed on His glory with the “eye of faith”. Yes, we are pilgrims walking (or running) after our Lord into the wonder and beauty of each new day He spreads out before us. The trails are just fine with me even if the way is uneven and twisting and full of surprise; even if exhaustion shadows our footsteps as we are pursuing Him. There is so much to see and know. Breathe deep, dear pilgrim, and keep on running the race.

1 comment:

Abbey von Gohren said...

I have somehow let it become midafternoon today, without going for a run. I'm on it!