And the day God breathed upon your still life, stirring into being the green leaf and the flower, bud upon the branch and light
upon your soul. Here you felt the earth’s air on your petals and your leaves, and squinted into sunlight, gazing high for heaven
until you felt the gardener’s hand gently turning soil and soul, and nurturing you, bud in radiant sun.
Cascading rain absorbed in warm earth turning, heaven of fragrance. What is that sound in the wind and dazzling light?
Oh, the sweet sound of your delight in God. Sometimes it is like the sound of running laughter.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Gazillion Light Years

Yesterday I slipped out the back door at 6:17am and headed down the road. It was 46F with clear skies and a most subtle NE breeze of 6 mph. Perfect. The sun was just up a few minutes before, and I could feel the growing energy of the day. On into a glorious morning I moved, slipping into a steady cruise. I put down 15 miles in 2:47 hours, a pace of 11:07 per mile. This is good for me. Maybe if I work at it, I could even improve. But it is not the essential thing. Rather, for me each day it is a question of whether I love this running and these mornings and all the expanded opportunities to contemplate and pray and worship and wonder and just soak up the shimmering of each moment. It’s good to think about pace, but the day’s beauty and unsearchable dimensions - that's what I’m looking for. Where is the treasure and worth on this sparkling, bluish planet spinning wistfully in the middle of a vast, immeasurable space a gazillion light years from anything? And further, other than a speck, what am I?

At the end of my run I made my coffee and a smoothie, and sat back. Maybe I’ll figure it out someday. For today, though, I’ve got enough to think about already.

“Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." [Matthew 6:34]


Maybe a second of cup of coffee today; this universe has a way of stretching me. The good part is that it seems to make my heart bigger, too. I better just keep running these trails and watching as my universe and my affections for its creator keeping expanding and finding rich, new glories; treasures along the trails and beauty beyond my heart. This could take me an eternity. I’ll keep running. Come on, hurry up, we may just miss the next surprise. Let’s just keep running hard and true.

No comments: